medications

This is the "cry for help" forum. Provide as much info as you feel comfortable (we do not need your name, address, ID numbers, etc.) and someone will answer within hours hopefully (maximum time 1 day). If you do not wish to disclose any information in a public post you can register using an anonymous email address and then send a private message to dlcnurse, NoPocketCash, or jimithy.

THE SPECIFIC IDEAS PRESENTED SHOULD NOT BE FOLLOWED BLINDLY. YOU SHOULD MAKE YOUR OWN CHOICES AS FAR AS TREATMENTS, PHARMACIES, MEDICATIONS, ETC. ANY SPECIFIC EXAMPLE GIVEN IS JUST THAT... AN EXAMPLE TO SHOW WE ARE GIVING "REAL WORLD" COSTS AND IDEAS.
FORUM RULES: It is important not to do anything immoral, unethical, illegal, or against your doctor's advice.

Not all methods posted here will work. These are simply ideas some people have found to be useful.

We require polite behavior on this forum. (otherwise your posts will be eliminated and you will be restricted).

The Disclaimer page carefully explains about how the information you find on this site can be safely used. Follow its guidelines & it can help prevent problems. Don't blindly follow advice found here. Consult your doctor or a qualified licensed medical provider before using ANY information, ideas, or methods of saving money on meds to help ensure they are safe for your own health issues. Any information on this website is used at your own risk. Click here to read our Disclaimer.

medications

Postby kate » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:25 pm

I have been diabetic for 32 yrs. I do have insurance but starting in june have a very high deductible 3000.00 and my medications and insulin pump supplieis thru omnipod are expensive. My health problems are diabetes, high b/p, high cholesterol, low thyroid, CAD, depression, TIA, reflux. I've had open heart surgery 2 yrs ago. The medications that I'm on are
Efffexor 225 every day
Levothtroxine .125 every day
toprol 25mg 2 times a day
omeprasole 20mg 2 times a day
Hyzaar 100/25 every day
plavix 75 mg every day
Zetia 10 mg every day
Crestor 40 mg every day
humalog thru my insulin pump abt 50 units a day
omnipod supplies ( the pump is cordless and needs to be changed and refilled with insulin every 3 days) about 400- 500 $ month I need help I dont make that much money in a month and have other responsibilities too. HELP PLEASE :cry:
kate

Postby jimithy » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:47 am

Kate,

Thanks for your request. We are researching what can be done to reduce your costs.

You situation is complex. You can help us by giving us more information about your costs. My assumption is that after you complete your insurance deductible you still have a co-pay for your meds.

• What is your insurance co-pay for brand name drugs?
  • What is your insurance co-pay for generic medications?
  • What are your monthly costs of each individual med (before your deductible is met?
  • The OmniPod System has a low cost to start using an insulin pump but the costs of the pods alone tend to make it a much higher cost per month. If you could receive a pump with lower monthly costs... for free, would that be an option you would consider?
  • General information about you can also help. (your approximate income, the state you live in, how many people live in your household , & how long do you plan to take the same dose of each drug... some are short term and some conditions require medications for the rest of your life... buying in quantity only makes sense for meds you will be using for many months).
  • One of your conditions can have age-related medication problems. Knowing you have been diabetic for 32 yrs gives us a general idea but if you could tell us (within five years... such as "I am between 40 and 45 years old.") it will help with our recommendations.
  • The specific costs of your general diabetic supplies (FreeStyle strips, cannula, Humalog, alcohol swabs, etc.)

The idea is that you probably get some of your items at a very good value and some of them cost you much more than necessary. If we can concentrate on lowering costs where it saves you the most money then we can be more helpful to you.

We will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks again for posting,

jimithy
jimithy
Site Admin

Postby Bill-W » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:45 pm

Hi kate sorry I am not presently near my computer but I will try to get you some info on Monday. Hang in there. Thanks for posting. Bill
II a
Bill-W

Postby dlcnurse » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:41 am

Hi Kate,

With just a quick look at your medications, you could save some money buying online. Of course these prices are without your insurance. And you would also have to check to see if your insurance will cover overseas prescriptions.

First, let me start with the easy ones. Toprol, Levothyroxine, Hydrothorchlorizide (HTCZ) are all meds that can be purchased at Walmart for $10.00 for 90/180 day supplies.

Lets start with your first medication-Effexor 225 mg daily, Question: I do not find this in this dosage. Are you taking 150 mg tab plus a 75 mg tab?
The generic version of Effexor is called Venlafaxine.
This can be purchased online of the 150 mg @ 1.16/pill or 90/114.00
This can be purchased online of the 75 mg @ .97/pill or 90/96.50
For a total cost for both to equal the dose of 225 mg would cost $210.50 for the two medications.
Another drug in this catagory (SNRI'S) is Cymbalta
Cymbalta comes in doses of 20,30,40, and 60 mg tabs. The cost would be different for each dose. 20 mg tabs = 100 tabs/68.00
30 mg tabs = 100 tabs/84.00
40 mg tabs = 100 tabs/106.00
60 mg tabs = 90 tabls /124.00

So the Cymbalta would save you money by ordering online. Just remember your doctor would have to change your script to use this.

Toprol 25 mg BID You can purchase 180 tabs/ 10.00 at Walmart.
You may even save more money if you just bought this outright without using your insurance card. I would check and see which one is cheaper.

Prilosec or Omeprasole 20 mg BID can be purchased online also for .76/pill. This also depends on if your insurance is insisting that you purchase the over the counter medication or if they are filling the prescription as written. Many insurance companies will not pay for the over the counter type.
Now having said that, there are other medications in this class that are cheaper.
Aciphex 20 mg. .48/pill or100 tabs for 48.00
Nexium is 40/pill or 100 tabs for 50.00
Prilosec is .39/pill or 100 tabs for 49.00
Protonix is .37/pill or 100 tabs for 47.00
These are all the generic versions. The brand name would cost a small forutune. The Acihpex, Nexium, and Protonix are all once a day medications.
The Levothyroxine .125 mg (125 mcg) can be purchased at Walmart for their 90 day/10.00 price

One to the next one. Hyzaar 100/25 mg daily. This medication is actually Losartan and Hydrochlorthiazide. Hydrochlorthiazide can be purchased also at Walmart for 90 days /10.00
The generic version of Losartan can be purchased for .50/pill or 90/55.00 so your total cost would be 65.00 for a 90 day supply.
Hyzaar can also be purchased in a generic form combo also .81/pill or 90 tabs for 82.50.
You could save yourself almost 20.00 by using two different scripts instead of one script for the combo medication.

Plavix or Clopidogrel can be purchased in the generic form online (I don't find the generic version in the USA) Under the Clopidogrel name it can be purchased for .45/pill or 100 tabs for 45.00.
I don't find the other products of Ticlid any cheaper. You can however ask your doctor about using an aspirin product instead of the plavix as both work as anti-platelet aggregates. The problem is that they work in different ways. So the Aspirin may not be an option for you. And with the other medications you take, a herbal medication is not an option.

The next pill is Zetia. or Ezetimibe can be purschased online for .59/pill or 100 tabs for 69.00
The Crestor or Rosuvastin Calcium can be purchased online for 2.01/pill or 179,00 for 100 tabs.
It is possible to get Zetia and Simvastin combo pills also at a cost of 1.20/pill or 90 tabs for 118.00 (Vytorin). This would save you money by asking your doctor to switch you to the Vytorin.
Or you can save even more money by purchasing Zetia and Simivastin seperately as Simivastin can be purchased at Walmart for the 90 day/10.00 and the Zetia @ the .59/pill or 100 tabs for 69.00 which would put your cost at 79.00 for both. Of course this also requires your physician to agree.

I don't know what your co-pay is on your medications so you may be able to save more money with insurance. I will look into your insulin situation tomorrow and get back to you. Hopefully, this will give you some idea of what you can purchase your mediations at.
dlcnurse

Postby jimithy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:11 am

As dlcnurse said, Prevacid is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI). PPIs work by blocking acid production in the stomach. The drug industry primarily promotes PPIs as the treatment of choice for Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) although this is typically not a problem for people with acid stomach problems or ulcers (and PPIs are NOT the treatment of choice for those problems) their TV commercials try their best to scare people with the
jimithy
Site Admin

Hi Kate, Some Drug Info

Postby Bill-W » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:13 pm

Kate,
First and foremost. Speak to the Doctors that are treating you and explain your situation. Sometimes they may be able to supply samples to help defer your costs.
If they know that you have to choose between meds they may be able to offer solutions as well.
Here are some patient assistance programs from the list of meds you supplied.
Keep in mind some of the programs are based on your income and may exclude people with insurance but it is worth a try.

Patient Assistance

Effexor WYETH PHARMACEUTICALS:
http://www.wyeth.com/contact?rid=/wyeth_html/home/shared/footer/Patient/contact_patient_assist.html

Levothtroxine is a generic and available at Walmart for $4.00/30day and $10.00/90day

Toprol is the brand name and metoprolol is the generic also available at Walmart priced as above.
Ask your Doctor if you are able to switch to the generic.

Omeprazole(Prilosec)http://www.astrazeneca-us.com/help-affording-your-medicines/
or call:
Patient Assistance Program
AstraZeneca Foundation
P.O. Box 15197
Wilmington, DE 19850-5197

800 424-3727

HYZAAR by Merck
http://www.merck.com/merckhelps/

PLAVIX by Bristol-Myers Squibb Co.
http://www.bmspaf.org/

ZETIA by Merck & Co., Inc. http://www.merck.com/merckhelps/
and Schering-Plough Corp http://www.schering-plough.com/products/patient-assistance.aspx

Informal patient assistance programs have been in place at Schering-Plough since the early 1980s. Today, patients can apply for assistance through two programs: Commitment to Care (1-800-521-7157) http://www.schering-plough.com/products/commitment.aspx#0 , which covers their cancer and hepatitis drugs; and Schering-Plough Cares (1-800-656-9485) http://www.schering-plough.com/products/we-care.aspx#0 , which includes their other prescription drugs.

CRESTOR by AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals, LP
http://www.astrazeneca-us.com/help-affording-your-medicines/
or call:
Patient Assistance Program
AstraZeneca Foundation
P.O. Box 15197
Wilmington, DE 19850-5197

800 424-3727

HUMALOG by Eli Lilly and Co.
http://www.lilly.com/responsibility/programs/

I called OMNIPOD and they do not have a patient assistance program.
Maybe your Doctor can recommend a different/similar device that is less expensive. Unfortunately I am unfamiliar with DM supplies.
I hope some of this info is useful. Please check back and let us know.
Bill

[/u]
Bill-W

Postby dlcnurse » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:45 am

Hi Kate

I have been doing a little research on your omnipod as I am not familiar with the insulin pumps. From what I understand, the omni pump is not actually a insulin pump but a pod that is worn. Blood glucose is checked with a remote PDM that has a built in Freestyle glucose meter. The pod is programmed by the PDM. The pod holds approximately 200 units of insulin (U-100) and needs filled aprroximately every 3 days or so depending on how much insulin that is required daily. I am assuming that your are using test strips to check your sugars.

The Freestyle meters are by Abbott Pharmaceuticals. They do have a site online for Diabetes Care. They also have a program that is called the Freestyle Program, which provides a card that assists on the purchase of testing equipment. It is a limited amount but anything is better than nothing at all. The way it works is that your insurance is applied first, than the co-pay amount that you pay is then applied to the card. You can actually save up to 50.00 a month on testing strips and such. I have the card and have used it. You can call 1-866-246-2683 in regards to the program.

Abbott Pharmaceuticals also has a patient assistance program that may be of help as well. Their customer care number is 1-888-522-5226.

Another resource that may be helpful to you is http://www.isletsofhope.com and look for their resource link about the middle of the page.
Lahle Wolf has done a tremendous job of finding numerous resources for the diabetic person regarding assistance programs, state assistance, clinics, etc...
She also founded the http://www.ipump.org for people needing help. They are limited on what they can do, but you may also be able to email them and she may be able to steer you in the right direction in getting further help.
I do have one question-- since this pod is filled by a cannula, do you purchase your insulin in vials? I will look to see what I can find in way of coupons etc... I hope that this will help you some.
dlcnurse

byetta

Postby artsychick » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:31 pm

Hello,
I've been on byetta for about 6 months now on and off because honestly I can't afford it through my insurance. My dr. is tired of giving me samples. I use what she gives me but it doesn't last through the month. It is the only thing that has actually worked on my body. I want to find out how I can get it cheaper some where. They are prescribing me 10mcg Byetta twice daily. My insurance is Healthnet. The dr. found a pharmacy that will give me a co pay of $71 a month. It's just too much for my month expenses. If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it.
artsychick

Postby jimithy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:35 pm

Typically Patient Assistance Programs (PAPs) from the drug companies will not help you if you have ANY type of insurance that covers ANY medications.

The Amylin Pharmaceutical company's PAP (They make Byetta) is slightly different in that they will help people who do not have ADEQUATE insurance. Of course they define what is adequate and what is not.
The Amylin Patient Assistance Program is available for patients prescribed BYETTA who do not have adequate insurance and/or do not have any other financial assistance and meet the eligibility criteria. In order to be considered for the Patient Assistance Program, patients will need to complete an application form and provide information on financial status. The Patient Assistance Program is available by calling toll free 1-800-330-7647 Monday through Friday from 8 am to 6 pm, Eastern Time.
http://www.byettahcp.com/hcp/hcp_faqs.jsp#basics8

They MIGHT help you if you call them.

Good luck (and keep checking back for more ideas) :-)
jimithy
Site Admin

Postby dlcnurse » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:55 am

Byetta currently does not have a generic version on the market at this point. On a good note, Sanofi-aventis pharmaceutical company has a generic that is pending approval by the FDA that is a once a week injection (Exenatide) but that does not help you at the moment.

I did not however find anything of use that may be of benefit to you. Even purchasing outside of the US the costs without insurance is quite expensive. The Byetta 10 Mcg pen is in the range of $250.00 for 250 mcg/ml.

You might try looking at the http://www.ipump.org site as they do have some cash assistance programs for emergency.

I will keep looking for you.
dlcnurse

Postby parkerlindsey » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:06 am

Hi all...
I have been taking Byetta since 5 months now. It works good for me. But i can't afford it through my insurance. I take 10mcg Byetta twice daily. Can anybody suggest me any place where i can get it cheaper?
parkerlindsey
Member In Good Standing

Postby Bill-W » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:06 pm

Byetta is made by Eli-Lilly.
They have a patient assistance program that may help.

http://www.lilly.com/responsibility/programs/

Good Luck,
Bill
Bill-W

Re: medications

Postby dlcnurse » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:41 pm

Links updated 9/20/11 dlcnurse
dlcnurse

Return to THE EASY WAY: Give us your list of drugs then we will give your specific ways to save