Need help with insulin for my mom

Diabetics often have some of the greatest needs for a wide variety of medications and medical supplies on an ongoing basis.
FORUM RULES: It is important not to do anything immoral, unethical, illegal, or against your doctor's advice.

Not all methods posted here will work. These are simply ideas some people have found to be useful.

We require polite behavior on this forum. (otherwise your posts will be eliminated and you will be restricted).

The Disclaimer page carefully explains about how the information you find on this site can be safely used. Follow its guidelines & it can help prevent problems. Don't blindly follow advice found here. Consult your doctor or a qualified licensed medical provider before using ANY information, ideas, or methods of saving money on meds to help ensure they are safe for your own health issues. Any information on this website is used at your own risk. Click here to read our Disclaimer.

Need help with insulin for my mom

Postby BKP » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:50 pm

Need help in finding Novolog 70/30 Flexpen insulin for my mom. Insurance will not pay any more. Have tried Patient Assistance Program but will not help because she had medicare.
BKP

Postby dlcnurse » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:42 pm

Thank you for posting. I do apologize for not replying sooner. My own Mother just recently passed away so was unable to answer your reply as promptly.

There is a coupon that is available online until 6/30/09
(link no longer available)

This at least will help some. I know that there was one for 70/30 insulin and I believe it was good on the flex pen or vial script.

I will look to see if there is any other information that I can find to help you.
dlcnurse

Postby jimithy » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:10 am

All insulin manufacturers in the U.S. have stopped supplying meds to anyone ELIGIBLE for Medicare Part D drug coverage.

A method to get around this is to go to a free clinic, Patient Advocacy Group, or doctor and have them get insulin samples requested. The samples can be requested on a regular basis because the company wants to promote their products to every patient they can reach. The company will not know that all the samples go to you. You can get multiple organizations to request samples if needed.

For your FlexPen they need to go to www.novomedlink.com

Sanofi-aventis has a history of giving out more samples. If your Mom can switch to Lantus (another excellent insulin) then go to www.sanofi-aventis.us

Once the process has started... many places will allow office workers to hand out the samples (so that the doctor, Patient Advocate, etc. is not disturbed all the time with this routine task.)

If this does not work for your Mom then let us know and we can suggest more drastic measures to get her the insulin she needs.

Good luck!
jimithy
Site Admin

Re: Need help with insulin for my mom

Postby dlcnurse » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:27 am

Links edited and updated 9/22/11 dlcnurse
dlcnurse

Return to Diabetes and Disorders & Syndromes You Get Because Of It.