foreign drugs

In the US it is a common practice to illegally to buy drugs from foreign pharmacies as a way of reducing costs.
FORUM RULES: It is important not to do anything immoral, unethical, illegal, or against your doctor's advice.

Not all methods posted here will work. These are simply ideas some people have found to be useful.

We require polite behavior on this forum. (otherwise your posts will be eliminated and you will be restricted).

The Disclaimer page carefully explains about how the information you find on this site can be safely used. Follow its guidelines & it can help prevent problems. Don't blindly follow advice found here. Consult your doctor or a qualified licensed medical provider before using ANY information, ideas, or methods of saving money on meds to help ensure they are safe for your own health issues. Any information on this website is used at your own risk. Click here to read our Disclaimer.

foreign drugs

Postby bridgelady » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:33 pm

The veterans administration dispenses the generic VALSARTAN for the use of diovan. When checking in the USA , valsartan is not available. Upon further checking, I found out that VA gets VALSARTAN out of the county. I question why it's ok for the VA to purchase drugs out of the country, but our medicare drug plans do not permit this
bridgelady

Postby jimithy » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:44 pm

I'll give my biased opinion since I have been a victim of the VA for about 15 years or so.

The drug and insurance companies paid big bucks to get Medicare Part D written in order to maximize their profits. The "servant of the people" who introduced the Part D legislation... quit his elected post a few weeks after Part D passed. He was immediately hired by PHARMA (the drug company's combined lobby organization) for a salary of $2,000,000+ a year. The 15 "servants of the people" who had the greatest influence in getting Part D passed... all quit the government to take very lucrative jobs in the industries who profited from their governmental work.

The question is not why the VA can get inexpensive generic drugs available overseas... it is why people on Part D cannot.

I believe the answer is simple. The VA was negotiating for medications in vast quantities BEFORE the 100+ changes in the law that have occurred in the last 13 years. They get exceedingly low prices because of that. The drug companies want generics to be used because no comparisons can be made between the VA's cost of those drugs versus the cost that insurance companies and private individuals must pay (since insurance and private individuals must buy the expensive brand name drugs.)

It is because of the success that the VA has had buying generic and brand name drugs at extremely reduced costs... that there was no way the drug industry was going to allow Medicare/Medicaid to negotiate for medications.

I am sure many "servants of the people" would like to change the VA's purchasing methods but it is dangerous to mess with Veterans during a war.

You did not request any advice about lowering costs. If you post the medications, dosages, quantites, and copays... I am sure we can reduce costs (even with VA $8/month copays). I posted in the VA subject area about how I started to reduce costs 15 months ago. ( www.slashdrugcosts.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=232 ) At that time I reduced my VA costs by almost $800 / year. Well I am saving many hundreds above that now. I don't know about most people but I use the VA because I cannot afford any other health care. These savings are huge to me because my medical bills eat way too much of my monthly Social Security check.

NOTE: I have made no mention of any politician or political party. I have not made any recommendations about the desirability of any pending legislation (local, state, or federal).
jimithy
Site Admin

Re: foreign drugs

Postby jimithy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:34 pm

updated and checked for broken links. 8/10/2011 by jimithy
jimithy
Site Admin

Return to Foreign drugs