No medical insurance and Type 2 diabetic

Diabetics often have some of the greatest needs for a wide variety of medications and medical supplies on an ongoing basis.
FORUM RULES: It is important not to do anything immoral, unethical, illegal, or against your doctor's advice.

Not all methods posted here will work. These are simply ideas some people have found to be useful.

We require polite behavior on this forum. (otherwise your posts will be eliminated and you will be restricted).

The Disclaimer page carefully explains about how the information you find on this site can be safely used. Follow its guidelines & it can help prevent problems. Don't blindly follow advice found here. Consult your doctor or a qualified licensed medical provider before using ANY information, ideas, or methods of saving money on meds to help ensure they are safe for your own health issues. Any information on this website is used at your own risk. Click here to read our Disclaimer.

No medical insurance and Type 2 diabetic

Postby amsco123 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:08 pm

I should be taking Levemir from FlezPen and Metformin Hydrochloride. Alas, having been without insurance for almost 8 months, I am starting to feel the effects of not taking it.

Is there anyway to get these at a greatly reduced or perhaps free, I would be eternally greatful. After not having been paid from my old position for almost 9 months of last year and been promised it would be forthcoming, I am sure that it is not. My move to another company has not allowed me medical coverage (not offered) and my finances are such that I just can not afford this. I am 55 years old so no social service program is offered to me. Anyone with a suggestion or suggestions please email me at amsco123@verizon.net. I would be very grateful.
amsco123

Postby dlcnurse » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:51 am

Thank you for posting.

There is a coupon/rebate offer for up to $25.00 for your Levemir Flexpen.
You can find it here- http://www.levemir-us.com/offer/

They also have a patient assistance program. You can find information for it - http://www.levemir-us.com/paying-patient-assistance.asp

The cheapest cost I find for you is 114.99 + 10.00 shipping for a total cost of 124.99 @ Canada Drugs Online pharmacy.

We do have to tell you that purchasing medications outside of the US is not recommended. Having said that, many people take advantage of getting medications at a cost that they can afford from foreign pharmacies.

Metformin can be purchased at Kroger's, Walmart pharmacies under their $4.00 and $10.00 generic program.
At Kroger's they carry the 500 mg, 850 mg, 1000 mg tabs $4.00 for 60 tabs and $10.00 for 180 tabs.
They also have the Metformin ER 500 mg tabs $4.00 for 60 tabs and $10.00 for 180 tabs.
Walmart has the same product of Metformin also under their generic medications $4.00 for 60 tabs or $10.00 for 180 tabs.

Your biggest expense would be the Levemir Flexpens. I would encourage you to talk to your doctor and see if he can 1)assist you in filling out the forms for patient assistance programs, 2)prescribe something cheaper for the management of your diabetes. 3)possibly give you samples that he may have in his office.
dlcnurse

Re: No medical insurance and Type 2 diabetic

Postby jackjolly » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:39 am

Some carriers will offer individual coverage to an insulin dependent Type 2 diabetic. The rules are fairly stringent and it will generally be at a higher rate but it is not always an automatic decline. Talk to a local agent who specializes in health care.
jackjolly
Member In Good Standing

Postby dlcnurse » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:16 am

Another site that may help you or someone else needing some help cutting their costs is to go here: http://www.internetdrugcoupons.com/Diabetes
The also have other medications such as ActosPlus Met, Actos, Avandia, Duetect, deutDHA, Lily Humapen, Humalog Kwik Pen, Janumet, Januvia, Kombiglyze, Lantus, Levemir, Novalog, Onglyza, Symlin, Vicloza, and a Tradjenta Savings Card. And their is a whole other list of medications not related to diabetes that you take, so while you are on the site, you might as well check to see if they have coupons for those medications as well.

New Post plus adding new links, repaired out links on 8/19/11 by dlcnurse
dlcnurse

Postby jimithy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:29 pm

links and posts updated 8/19/11 dlcnurse
jimithy
Site Admin

Return to Diabetes and Disorders & Syndromes You Get Because Of It.