Depressed because of diabetes

Diabetics often have some of the greatest needs for a wide variety of medications and medical supplies on an ongoing basis.
FORUM RULES: It is important not to do anything immoral, unethical, illegal, or against your doctor's advice.

Not all methods posted here will work. These are simply ideas some people have found to be useful.

We require polite behavior on this forum. (otherwise your posts will be eliminated and you will be restricted).

The Disclaimer page carefully explains about how the information you find on this site can be safely used. Follow its guidelines & it can help prevent problems. Don't blindly follow advice found here. Consult your doctor or a qualified licensed medical provider before using ANY information, ideas, or methods of saving money on meds to help ensure they are safe for your own health issues. Any information on this website is used at your own risk. Click here to read our Disclaimer.

Depressed because of diabetes

Postby Kmac » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:19 pm

I am diagnosed with Diabetes Type I. I have been diagnosed with this since the age of 2. I am now 28. I haven't ever had any problems until now. My parents had BCBS so I was under them until 21. At 21, I had graduated from college and was working and continued to have BCBS. In 2008, I was contracted with another company as the mental health team case worker for children who were sexually abused. The man over the company that we worked for abruptly cut the contract and laid us off. It blindsided me. I had to find another job fast. Becase of the economy, it was very difficult, whereas it had never been that difficult before. I finally just got a job doing telemarketing. After 3 months, I was able to get insurance with them and was still able to purchase my insulin. Then in October 2008, I started working back for the first company (not contracted anymore...this time working with homeless children) All this time still never had any "major" problems.

Last year, I was offered another job which pays decent ($30,000/year). It is contracted for two years and I work in the public school system as a Graduation Coach. The problem with this job is there is no insurance. I took the job, thinking that I could just get the BCBS plan that I paid for myself-Blue Cross Advantage. This plan would not accept me because I had the pre-existing condition of Diabetes. I tried to appeal it by saying they had covered me for the majority of my life and I didn't necessarily need MAJOR medical care, but to make a long story short, they would not. I took out some random medical insurance, because I was not trying to pay my whole check to cover my medical needs every month. I have other bills too! I found a local insurance broker in Alabama and he told me the best plan was one provided by Beech Street Corporation. My Endocrinologist had given me 3 month samples of my Humalog insulin that I take; so I didn't have to worry about this until now. I tried to go get my insulin yesterday. Now keep in mind, I pay $260/month already just to have this plan. My insulin that would last me one month cost $222 with the AIM RX gold card that I have...so that's with a discount!

I just drove off. I can't afford all these medical expenses. I don't have any children, and my income is ok, but I will be giving all my money each month just to cover medical expenses. I am frustrated, because I don't know what to do. I have an insulin pump and I am running very low on the supplies for that too, but the immediate attention is to my actual insulin, I use a vial of Humalog insulin (100 units) 10 mL. It goes in my insulin pump and I have to change it about every 3 days. One vial will last me about 21 days. my doctor usually writes me a Rx for 2 vials/month. Does anyone know of any assistance? I am desperate now. The little bit of insulin I have left will not even last me 3 days. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Kmac

Postby jimithy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:08 pm

Kmac,

There are a number of options for you.

• Immediate Needs (insulin for your pump)
  • Short term solutions
  • Sustainable solutions

I will not be the only one responding to your post. Keep in mind that we do not know everything about your complete situation so not all of the ideas & methods presented we meet your needs.

Fast Sources of Insulin

Plead with your doctor. Explain that you did not know how expensive the Humalog would cost through your insurance.

Plead with your Doctor for a one-time prescription for 5 Humalog Kwik-pens. They are free and you can also get a coupon for them here: http://www.internetdrugcoupons.com/Huma ... Pen-Coupon after clicking on this site, it may take you to the main site if it can't find it. Just scroll down to the bottom of the page as there is a listing of the drugs and click on the Humalog KwikPens. They also do have coupons on other insulins if you are in need of those as well. They are not for use with your pump but they can provide a short-term solution.

Remember, more ideas and methods will be posted.

Good luck and when you have time... please inform us about what solutions absolutely would not work for you... and what ideas reduced your problems.

Thanks for posting,

jimithy
Last edited by dlcnurse on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: broken links fixed and updated 8/19/11
jimithy
Site Admin

Postby jimithy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:33 pm

We have a subject about RX discount cards Health Care Prescription Cards & Plans

A large number of the RX discount cards not only do not save you money, the medications bought with them actually cost more than purchasing them without insurance or using the RX card.

The price you quoted for a Humalog 10ml bottle is more expensive than many pharmacies. If you have enough insulin to last you a month then mail-order pharmacies can be even cheaper. Reputable foreign pharmacies (such as Canada, the UK, or New Zealand) can be substantially less than half the price.

If you choose to use a foreign pharmacy please remember that it is technically against the law.
jimithy
Site Admin

Canadian pharmacy?

Postby kmac » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:53 am

Thank you for all your information. It is very helpful. I went to a doctor yesterday and he gave me another bottle of humalog. That will last me for about 20 days...
Anyways, I was checking out the Canadian pharmacy yesterday and of course I was interested. I was worried that it may not be real medicine though. Have you ever heard stories like that or is it pretty legitimate for the most part....like it is actually Humalog insulin?? I don't wanna kill myself...lol. Out of curiosity, why is it illegal? And like if I get caught with Canadian insulin, could I possibly go to jail or pay a fine or what is the consequence??
kmac

Canadian pharmacies

Postby NoPocketCash » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:18 pm

Hi Kmac,

I'm glad you were able to get a vial of Humalog to hold you over for a few weeks.

Canada has their own regulatory procedures very similar to the the U.S. FDA. The FDA has declared it is illegal to import drugs from other countries because even though the medications may be approved in the U.S., the pharmacies have not been approved by the FDA. However Canada has their own regulatory procedures that are very similar. In some cases, the medications are actually produced in the same facilities as those distributed in the U.S.

I know a number of people I trust who have used Canadian based internet pharmacies. Many sites you can find on the internet may not be safe but there are 2 I am going to recommend based on the repeated experiences of people I know and trust.

Canada Drugs Online (www.canadadrugsonline.com) is very trustworthy. Their price for Humalog is $45 for one 10 ml vial, $119 for 3 vials, and $179 for 5 vials. They will fill a 3 month supply at one time so if you go this route, the next time you get a prescription ask your doctor to write for 3 months. (If you have a one month prescription with refills on it, they will fill the refills up front if you ask them to.) Shipping is $10 per order. Their normal delivery time is between 5 and 18 days but they cannot guarantee the postal service. The fastest way to order is to do it online, print the order and fax it with your prescription to them. (They will accept the fax from you or your doctor even though the form says it must be from your doctor.)

Cross Border Pharmacy (www.crossborderpharmacy.com) is also very reliable. Their price for a 10 ml vial of Humalog is $53 and shipping is $9.95. Their delivery estimate is up to 21 days. They have the same ordering procedures and the 3 month supply guideline is the same as above.

Good luck!

NoPocketCash
NoPocketCash

Postby jimithy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:43 pm

Kmac,

I'll try to address your concerns about using drugs that come from outside of the U.S.

First it is important to know that foriegn manufacturers produce much of the active ingredients in our prescription drugs. Those ingredients are made into the final product or they are shipped in bulk to the U.S. to be packaged. The FDA inspects manufacturing facilities in all countries that are major producers of medications. Legitimate pharmacies anywhere in the world (including the U.S.) have trained pharmacists. The National Association of Boards of Pharmacy
jimithy
Site Admin

Re: Depressed because of diabetes

Postby jackjolly » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:34 am

Depression and diabetes are two conditions that can sometimes go hand-in-hand. First, diabetes can increase the risk of depression, according to a growing body of research. In fact, having diabetes doubles the risk of depression, compared to people who don't have the disease.
jackjolly
Member In Good Standing

Re: Depressed because of diabetes

Postby dlcnurse » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:25 am

All links updated on 8/19/11 dlcnurse
dlcnurse

Return to Diabetes and Disorders & Syndromes You Get Because Of It.