Need diabetes supplies

Diabetics often have some of the greatest needs for a wide variety of medications and medical supplies on an ongoing basis.
FORUM RULES: It is important not to do anything immoral, unethical, illegal, or against your doctor's advice.

Not all methods posted here will work. These are simply ideas some people have found to be useful.

We require polite behavior on this forum. (otherwise your posts will be eliminated and you will be restricted).

The Disclaimer page carefully explains about how the information you find on this site can be safely used. Follow its guidelines & it can help prevent problems. Don't blindly follow advice found here. Consult your doctor or a qualified licensed medical provider before using ANY information, ideas, or methods of saving money on meds to help ensure they are safe for your own health issues. Any information on this website is used at your own risk. Click here to read our Disclaimer.

Need diabetes supplies

Postby JR » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:16 am

I currently use the accucheck plus glucole tester. I need help with the lancers, alcohol swabs, and test strips.

I also need help with insulin and the needles.

I take 2 types of insulin:
1 - Lantus SoloStar - comes in a pen sized. 100 units/ML; 3 ML. I take 16 units everyday, once a day. NDC 0088222060
2 - Humulog KwikPen - 100 units/ML; 3 ML. I take 6 to 10 units before each meal. Dont know NDC
The needles are the same for both insulins. BD Ultraf Fine Pen Needles. Length 5 mm, gauge 31G. Mini. NDC 08290320119

Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions.
JR

Welcome from a fellow insulin dependent diabetic

Postby jimithy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:37 pm

JR,

Thanks for posting such exacting information. The more information we have, the easier it is to provide the best possible methods to save that we can.

I am also diabetic and use Lantus Insulin (Glargine). To quote Lantus themselves: [quote]The LANTUS
jimithy
Site Admin

Postby jimithy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:20 pm

JR,

Here are some methods I use to drastically cut my testing costs.

I sign up for every free meter that is offered. (most major manufacturers give out free meters). I find all brand name meters operate about the same and have about the same accuracy. Getting many brands of free meters gives you two methods to reduce costs drastically.

Some of them include some test strips... not a lot, but free is free. The main advantage is that you can buy virtually any brand strip that goes on sale because you will have a meter that uses them.

The more types of current meters you have... the more options you have for reducing your costs with strips. For example... I believe it is pretty safe to buy strips on eBay because testing strips are almost impossible to counterfeit. Just make sure the seller gives you the expiration date, you only buy from sellers with nearly 100% positive feedbacks, AND you only buy sealed BOXES. There is no tamper indicator on almost any bottle of strips so a bottle of strips in an open box could contain out-of-date strips. If you just search the category: Health & Beauty > Medical, Mobility & Disability > Diabetic Aids > Test Strips on a regular basis then you will find deals (especially if you have a variety of meters)

Amazingly, it is possible to get boxes of brand name (unexpired) strips from quality long term eBay sellers with 100% positive feedbacks for only a few dollars a box INCLUDING SHIPPING. If you buy strips close to expiration but no more than you will use before they expire... then you can get smoking deals. Strips with expiration dates far into the future can be bought for only a few dollars more.

To get free meters:

First... do not try to get more than one free meter from the same manufacturer (even if it is a different type meter). If they see multiple requests to the same person or address then they will not send any meters.

Most Manufacturers will send you a free meter if you call them and tell them how many strips you use a month (or day). They do not expect to make money on meters... they make the big bucks by selling strips for their meters.

Online Free Glucometer Kits:

For a free FreeStyle Freedom kit or a FreeStyle Lite kit (Usually either will come with 10 strips) go to http://www.freestylelite.com/freestylew ... ode=hd74kd

AccuChek no longer offers free meters online. If you call them and tell them how many times you test a day then they will usually give you one.

For a free One Touch UltraMini (Usually either will come with 10 strips) go to http://www.onetouchdiabetes.com/ultramini/ and go to the bottom of the page and click "Get the Meter"

For a free ascensia contour go to https://offers.bayerdiabetes.com/Coupon ... ct=contour

NOTE: Many manufacturers of glucometers have various meters that use different strips. If you can get as many types of meters as possible then you have a better chance of finding bargains on strips.

Note: Excellent deals on eBay are common but not everyday occurrences. I use the "Save Search" feature of eBay that allows me to get an email notice whenever any strip I can use is ending soon with a very low cost. Usually about half of those strips are actual good deals on unexpired strips. That is why I am saying that getting all the free meters you can... it lets you grab more bargains on strips.

You can also find assistance here for insulin needs, oral agent need, (they carry a dozen of the different oral medications that may help someone). You can locate the site here: http://www.internetdrugcoupons.com/Diabetes. Hope that these suggestions help.
Last edited by dlcnurse on Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated and added new links, checked outdated links for continued use. 8/19/11 dlcnurse
jimithy
Site Admin

Thanks

Postby JR » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:42 pm

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I was surprised at the costly supplies at first. I never thought about looking on eBay. Thanks alot for that tip.
JR

Thanks again

Postby JR » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:46 pm

Do you accept donations or anything? Is there anyway I can repay you?
JR

Postby jimithy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:40 pm

JR,

Initially we never accepted anything from anyone. All costs are still being paid for by the founders of this site. Luckily internet hosts can be quite inexpensive.

We would like to reach people who are not internet savvy. Printing materials for distribution in medical offices, hospitals, etc. costs much more than running a website.

Therefore we incorporated and took steps to achieve IRS non-profit status. The IRS wants a hefty fee just to file (even if they do not approve it).

At the top right of every page is a You can Help link that shows how people with or without money can help out. Any donations are not tax exempt at this time.

Thanks for asking!

BTW There is a lot more information in our Diabetes Subject Area: Diabetes and Disorders & Syndromes You Get Because Of It
jimithy
Site Admin

Lancets on eBay

Postby JR » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:23 pm

Hello again.

I had a question. I purchased 200 Lancets on ebay for $8. This seems to good to be true. The sellers feedback is 100% on 1263 items. Surely no one would sell used lancets, right? I mean I guess its possible, though that would be horrible. It says new sealed unopened box. I just worry why they were so cheap

Have you seen legitimate deals for that cheap? Is that unusual? Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks again
JR

To good to be true

Postby jimithy » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:31 pm

JR,

>>Have you seen legitimate deals for that cheap?

If you know what you are doing then quality eBay items can be gotten ridiculously cheap. Patience is important. Auction tools such as Gixen.com can give you an edge over other buyers.

In the last 60 days I have bought 12 items that cost less than $1 each... including shipping (always include shipping costs).

Yesterday someone bought 200 lancets from a quality seller and spent $3.25 including shipping.

I buy lancets that have sealed plastic tips that must be twisted off before the lance is exposed. That way I do not have to worry about some evil genius saving all his used lancets and resealing them back in their box for resale. :-)

If you buy ANY diabetes item on eBay and you are unsure about what was sent you. Don't use it. Contact the seller and get a refund. If the seller wants the item back then he should pay return shipping costs (despite what the listing says about returns). Do not threaten to leave bad or neutral feedback. Simply tell the seller that you will file a PayPal claim. The seller will refund your money about 95% of the time.

Don't bother filing claims with PayPal or eBay... They take giant amounts of time and usually don't pay. If they do pay it will be at least 90 days before you see the funds.

Yes there is risk with eBay. It saves me huge bucks though. You have to make your own choices.

jimithy
jimithy
Site Admin

Postby JR » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:36 pm

OK thanks.

I was under the impression the lancets were much more expensive than that. My Grandmother bought my first box (I was just diagnosed with diabetes last month) and she said it was $40 for 100 of them. I checked the price again and it was only $12. She was mistaken.

But thanks again for the input.
JR

Re: Need diabetes supplies

Postby dlcnurse » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:43 am

All posts and links checked and updated. 8/19/11 dlcnurse
dlcnurse

Return to Diabetes and Disorders & Syndromes You Get Because Of It.