diabetic supplies

Diabetics often have some of the greatest needs for a wide variety of medications and medical supplies on an ongoing basis.
FORUM RULES: It is important not to do anything immoral, unethical, illegal, or against your doctor's advice.

Not all methods posted here will work. These are simply ideas some people have found to be useful.

We require polite behavior on this forum. (otherwise your posts will be eliminated and you will be restricted).

The Disclaimer page carefully explains about how the information you find on this site can be safely used. Follow its guidelines & it can help prevent problems. Don't blindly follow advice found here. Consult your doctor or a qualified licensed medical provider before using ANY information, ideas, or methods of saving money on meds to help ensure they are safe for your own health issues. Any information on this website is used at your own risk. Click here to read our Disclaimer.

diabetic supplies

Postby bama » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:56 pm

I TEST MY BLOOD SUGAR 7 TIMES A DAY
i NEED TO FIND ASSISTANCE IN GETTING TEST STRIPS
$32000 YEAR 4 IN FAMILY IN TN
bama

Postby dlcnurse » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:12 am

Thank you for contacting us. The information you provided is essential to our being able to assist you but we also need to know what type of glucose monitor you are using to be able to find the appropriate testing strips that you need, and to be able to assist you in cost cutting for you specifically.

Also, there are a few glucose monitors out there that are available for free so if you are considering switching to something else, this also may be a avenue to assist in cost cutting for testing supplies.
dlcnurse

Sorry I didnt reply sooner

Postby jimithy » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:03 am

First, I REALLY understand. I use 6 strips a day and I live on Social Security Disability as my only income. When you test a lot then expensive strips can be worse than 90% of the most expensive common brand name drugs. If blood sugar control is a major problem then you do not have the luxury of not testing often. It is more expensive not to test because of hastened major medical problems brought on by poor blood sugar control.

I do not like the choice of... do we eat this month... or do I buy all the test strips I need... or do I just kill myself slowly by not taking care of my blood sugar. None of those options work.

I'll check to see what programs you might qualify for in TN.

In the mean time Try doing some things right away.

1. Sign up for free meters (most major manufacturers give out free meters). This does two things for you. Some of them include some test strips... not a lot, but free is free.

2. The more types of current meters you have... the more options you have for reducing your costs with strips. For example... I believe it is pretty safe to buy strips on eBay because they are almost impossible to counterfeit. Just make sure the seller gives you the expiration date, you only buy from sellers with nearly 100% positive feedbacks, AND you only buy sealed BOXES. There is no tamper indicator on almost any bottle of strips so a bottle of strips in an open box could contain out-of-date strips. If you just search the category: Health & Beauty > Medical, Mobility & Disability > Diabetic Aids > Test Strips on a regular basis then you will find deals (especially if you have a variety of meters)

Yesterday 3 NEW, SEALED BOXES of 50 TEST STRIPS each ( not expired and from a 100% positive feedback seller ) could have been bought for a total of less than $4 INCLUDING SHIPPING (<$1.33 per box of 50). In the last week another 6 different NEW, SEALED BOXES of 50 TEST STRIPS each ( not expired and from 100% positive feedback sellers ) could have been bought for less than $3 each INCLUDING SHIPPING. In the last 2 weeks 6 different NEW, SEALED BOXES of 50 TEST STRIPS each ( not expired and from 100% positive feedback sellers ) could have been bought for less than $3 each INCLUDING SHIPPING.

Since you are using 350 strips per month... it does not matter that the strips expire soon. If you only buy strips close to expiration... and no more than you will use before they expire then you can get smoking deals. In this case... you could have supplied the 350 strips for about $10 total costs. The best you could do from a store or online would have been over 15 times that cost.

3. Please read... Specifics About Getting Free or Low Cost Diabetic Supplies

I'll also get back to you with how to get various free meters. (BTW... Very low cost meters and meter kits are available on eBay for very low prices too.)

We will get you help with your expensive strip problem.
jimithy
Site Admin

Postby jimithy » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:56 am

Sources indicate that TN requires all health insurance companies to provide free diabetic supplies. Of course if you don't have health insurance, Medicare, or Medicaid then it does you no good.

To get free meters:

First... do not try to get more than one free meter from the same manufacturer (even if it is a different type meter). If they see multiple requests to the same person or address then they will not send any meters.

Most Manufacturers will send you a free meter if you call them and tell them how many strips you use a month (or day). They do not expect to make money on meters... they make the big bucks by selling strips for their meters.

Online Free Glucometer Kits:

For a free FreeStyle Freedom kit or a FreeStyle Lite kit (Usually either will come with 10 strips) go to http://www.freestylelite.com/freestyleworld/landing.asp?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=ContextualAd&utm_content=GoogleOtherMonitorsAd12&utm_campaign=freestyleworld&code=hd74kd

For a free AccuChek Aviva kit with 60 free strips go to http://www.accu-chek.com/promo/us/usdrtvpromo.htm

For a free One Touch UltraMini (Usually either will come with 10 strips) go to http://www.onetouchdiabetes.com/ultramini/ and go to the bottom of the page and click "Get the Meter"

For a free ascensia contour go to https://offers.bayerdiabetes.com/CouponReg.aspx?product=contour

Note: Another 50 strips (exp. 5/09) from a good seller went for $2.99 including shipping today on eBay. There are deals almost everyday. That is why I am saying that getting all the free meters you can... lets you grab more bargains on strips.
jimithy
Site Admin

Re: diabetic supplies

Postby dlcnurse » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:49 am

updated 8/21/11 dlcnurse
dlcnurse

Return to Diabetes and Disorders & Syndromes You Get Because Of It.