Reduced Cost Testing Supplies Program

Diabetics often have some of the greatest needs for a wide variety of medications and medical supplies on an ongoing basis.
FORUM RULES: It is important not to do anything immoral, unethical, illegal, or against your doctor's advice.

Not all methods posted here will work. These are simply ideas some people have found to be useful.

We require polite behavior on this forum. (otherwise your posts will be eliminated and you will be restricted).

The Disclaimer page carefully explains about how the information you find on this site can be safely used. Follow its guidelines & it can help prevent problems. Don't blindly follow advice found here. Consult your doctor or a qualified licensed medical provider before using ANY information, ideas, or methods of saving money on meds to help ensure they are safe for your own health issues. Any information on this website is used at your own risk. Click here to read our Disclaimer.

Reduced Cost Testing Supplies Program

Postby jimithy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:44 pm

This sounds too good to be true so if someone out there has used this program then PLEASE reply to this post... and tell us the good, the bad, and the inevitable ugly :-)

Abbott Laboratories, maker of the FreeStyle meters, has a program called FreeStyle Promise. You are supposed to be able to get a free meter or meter upgrade(?) and a card that automatically slices $50 off the cost of a box of 100 strips every month at your local pharmacy. (At discount pharmacies that makes the strips about half price.)

You can read the Abbott FreeStyle Promise pamphlet at www.freestylepromise.com/pdf/ART15166_Rev-A.pdf

You can call them at 1-866-246-COVERED (1-866-246-2683) to enroll in the program. I do not know if they have qualifications to "join" but I am sure if you sound rich or well insured... you probably will be steered towards other options.
jimithy
Site Admin

Postby dlcnurse » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:51 am

Yes they are on the up and up.

I just received a new meter a few weeks ago. And also a card for money off the script. The way the card works is you have to call them and see what your cost would be. They will pay up to $50.00 on the cost.

Speaking of meters though, I have a freestyle meter if any one needs one. It does have its original box and all the goodies. You can let me know if you need one. We can exchange info privately. The only cost to you is that of shipping to whereever you live.

Thanks dlcnurse
dlcnurse

Postby jimithy » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:46 am

I must be a little slow this morning because I don't know exactly who "them" and "They" refers to in this passage (or if both words refer to the same entity.)

The way the card works is you have to call them and see what your cost would be. They will pay up to $50.00 on the cost.

Sorry about being obtuse :-)
jimithy
Site Admin

Postby dlcnurse » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:32 pm

They and them I am referring to Abbot Pharmaceuticals
dlcnurse

Postby jimithy » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:55 pm

I am not being deliberately stupid here but now I do not understand this...
The way the card works is you have to call them and see what your cost would be.

You say "them" is Abbott Pharmachueticals... so how would they know what the strips would cost locally... or was I wrong when I wrote that people would be buying strips "at your local pharmacy"?

This could save a lot of people (like me) a bunches of money so I am trying to understand the system. I guess I could just call them but I HATE trying to play their games without knowing the rules :-)

Thanks in advance for being patient with me.
jimithy
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:54 am

Sorry I was not trying to be misunderstood. According to the information that I was sent with my meter, along with a card that will help you save up to 50.00 a month on test strips. It is part of a program in which they will assist with step by step instructions on the meters, and also "The Co-pay freedom benefit. My understanding is that this card when presented with my refills for my prescription of the strips will cover my out of pocket expense up to 50.00 a month for 12 months.

I have called the phone number provided with my card but found that the hours are 9-5 monday through friday. So, I will call again on monday before I go to work. Hopefully, I will have more information on the program with Abbott Diabetes Care program card.

dlcnurse (sorry forgot to sign in and didn't want to retype it again..) :oops:

Postby dlcnurse » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:17 pm

The Free Style Program consists of the education, any technical problems that you may have, and the discount on strips through the card. According to the person that I talked too, this is how the card works.

1) you have to call the number provided and enroll in the program

2)it is good on the freestyle meter, xprecision meter strips for these meters

3) If you are insured- you present the card along with your primary insurance. Your primary insurance is billed first, the card second. You pay the first 15.00 of your co-pay, the card pays the rest.

4)If you are not insured- you present the card to your pharmacist, the card is billed. I am not sure if you would pay the first 15.00 or another amount. Since I have insurance, I was only told about the 15.00 and the rest goes on the card.

5)you will need to call and enroll to find out what your own savings would be with or without insurance.

6)They do consider Medicare recipients as well.
dlcnurse

Return to Diabetes and Disorders & Syndromes You Get Because Of It.