Deplin (L-Methylfolate)

If you just need an easy way to get a very specific question answered, then this is the place for you. If you ask a general question then the answer will probably not be of much help. If your question gives us all the details (except those that might identify you) then we can be very detailed in our answers.
FORUM RULES: It is important not to do anything immoral, unethical, illegal, or against your doctor's advice.

Not all methods posted here will work. These are simply ideas some people have found to be useful.

We require polite behavior on this forum. (otherwise your posts will be eliminated and you will be restricted).

The Disclaimer page carefully explains about how the information you find on this site can be safely used. Follow its guidelines & it can help prevent problems. Don't blindly follow advice found here. Consult your doctor or a qualified licensed medical provider before using ANY information, ideas, or methods of saving money on meds to help ensure they are safe for your own health issues. Any information on this website is used at your own risk. Click here to read our Disclaimer.

Deplin (L-Methylfolate)

Postby Genny » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:59 pm

My psychiatrist had me taking this a couple of years ago. It helped with both energy level and mood (depression has been a life-long problem). Then my insurance refused to cover it. I would really like to be able to take it, but it is cost-prohibitive.
I have tried Folic Acid Supplements. They were not helpful. I seem to be one of those people unable to reduce dietary folate or folic acid down to the form that can pass the blood brain barrier.
Any ideas would be most appreciated.
Genny
Volunteer

Re: Deplin (L-Methylfolate)

Postby dlcnurse » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:59 am

Genny,
I do apologize for not answering sooner. I have been away from home due to some health issues in my family. I did not find that Deplin comes in a generic form. The cost is rather expensive for a 30 day supply for anyone who does not have insurance. In your case, your insurance is refusing to cover it. It is by prescription only. There are a few things that you can do.
1) Discuss with your prescribing doctor that your insurance is refusing to cover the cost, and request their assistance in obtaining coverage. Many times it will take a written letter by your physician that this is a necessary prescription for you in treating your depression.
2)Discuss with your prescribing doctor alternative or a new medication that will benefit you in the same manner.
3)Contact your insurance carrier and request a review on why they won't cover this prescription medication. Since it does not come in generic form, you may ask them about mail ordering from them and see if they will cover it that way. Many insurance companies prefer that you order your medications through them at a lower cost for savings.
The lowest price that I could find online was anywhere from $3.10 to $3.43 per pill/30 tabs for 103.99 to 112.95.
I did find a coupon that you could use for a discounted price. Here is the link where you can print it out:
http://www.rxpharmacycoupons.com/deplin-coupon.html

Hope this at least helps. Sorry I couldn't be more help to you.
Last edited by dlcnurse on Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: correct spelling in link
dlcnurse

Return to Quick Answers To Specific Questions