have medicaid and medicare but need drugs badly

This is the "cry for help" forum. Provide as much info as you feel comfortable (we do not need your name, address, ID numbers, etc.) and someone will answer within hours hopefully (maximum time 1 day). If you do not wish to disclose any information in a public post you can register using an anonymous email address and then send a private message to dlcnurse, NoPocketCash, or jimithy.

THE SPECIFIC IDEAS PRESENTED SHOULD NOT BE FOLLOWED BLINDLY. YOU SHOULD MAKE YOUR OWN CHOICES AS FAR AS TREATMENTS, PHARMACIES, MEDICATIONS, ETC. ANY SPECIFIC EXAMPLE GIVEN IS JUST THAT... AN EXAMPLE TO SHOW WE ARE GIVING "REAL WORLD" COSTS AND IDEAS.
FORUM RULES: It is important not to do anything immoral, unethical, illegal, or against your doctor's advice.

Not all methods posted here will work. These are simply ideas some people have found to be useful.

We require polite behavior on this forum. (otherwise your posts will be eliminated and you will be restricted).

The Disclaimer page carefully explains about how the information you find on this site can be safely used. Follow its guidelines & it can help prevent problems. Don't blindly follow advice found here. Consult your doctor or a qualified licensed medical provider before using ANY information, ideas, or methods of saving money on meds to help ensure they are safe for your own health issues. Any information on this website is used at your own risk. Click here to read our Disclaimer.

Postby bptabby » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:59 pm

Oops,
sorry, never did occur to me I didn't tell you what I use for prescribtion drug coverage.

I am on Anthem Blue Cross, Blue Shield Medicare RX Premieum in Ohio.

The drugs that I have to pay for I charge on my dad's credit card at kroger's.

He has a regular credit card, and a drug credit card to make life simpler for him.

Sorry I didn't state that before. I am looking for savings all the time, not just in North Carolina.

bptabby
bptabby
Member In Good Standing

Other medicare/medicaid prescription programs

Postby dlcnurse » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:38 am

Hi bptabby
I live in Ohio also. I did a search on all of your medications through the http://www.medicare.gov site and there are a total of 109 different medication programs that offer coverage on your medications. The top 4 were:
AARP Medicare Rx Enhanced, Advantra Diamond, Blue Medicare Rx Premier. The AARP and the Blue Medicare Rx are prescription drug programs only.
You may want to look at the site above and enter your medications to see which plan including your Anthem Blue Cross Shield Medicare Rx Premium program.

Running your list of medications of Ativan, Glucophage XR, Lexapro, Lunesta, Synthroid, Singulair, Serequel, Strattera, Tricor, Zomig, Zyrtec, and the Topamax, there are only three of the medicines you take that come in generic form.
Those are the ativan (generic is lorazepam), Glucophage XR (generic is Metformin XR) and Synthroid (generic is Levoxyl, and Levothyroxine).

The prices you may pay for your medications will depend on the Tier level and what prescription coverage that you have as to the cost. Jimithy was looking up your Tricor for you. I can give you some pointers on it.
Tricor is used for high cholesterol and is more specific for those who have higher VLDL/LDL.
The costs can be lower if purchased in Canada vs the United States. Keep in mind that the FDA does not recommend that medications be purchased outside of the US but many have done it for years.
Different names for Tricor are Triglide, Lofibra, Antara, Lipofen, Fenofibrate, and Lipidil EZ (Canada)
Prices are considerably different from the US prices and Canada prices. In Canada, Lipidil EZ (Fenofibrate) can be purchased for a 30 day supply at the cost of 67.41, 60 day supply=119.51 and a 90 day supply=175.53
In the US for a 30 day supply the cost is 111.96, 60 day supply=216.09, and a 90 day supply=320.94. The prices in Canada are almost half of what you would pay in the United States.
Prices can be lowered by using one of the other such as Triglide, Lipofen, and Fenofibrate, Micro comes in 160 mg but they do not come in a dose of 145 mg, your doc would have to change the dose. The cost of the Fenofibrate, micro is considerably cheaper at a 30 day supply for 63.77 in the United States. This could be an option for you.
Other brands such as Crestor I find are not any cheaper than what you are currently using. One other similiar drug that is quite a bit cheaper is Lopid (Gemfibrozil). But this would require that you discuss it with your doctor about changing medications to one that you can afford. Lopid does come in a generic form and runs about 30.00 for a months supply. You may want to consult with your doctor about changing to a different drug such as the Lopid.
I will take a look at your other medications and see what I may be able to come up with on costs. You do need to think about what tier level each medication is when considering a prescription plan as well. Level 3 tier you are paying a higher cost for your medications. So as many of them as you can get into level 1 or 2 will cost you less money in the long run.
Do take a look at the medicare plans and see if the plan you are using is right for you. Checking it out may save you money as well.
It also makes a difference if you have a Medicare Advantage Plan or just a Prescription Drug Plan. It depends on whether you have the Original Medicare part A & B as to the plans offered.
Blue Anthem I believe is a Medicare Advantage Plan which does not allow you to have a Medigap policy and generally does not cover you during the gap period when you are paying for your medicatons. Unless you mean the Blue Medicare Rx Premium? This is a PDP program and is actually the lowest in Tier levels (1,2 or 3). The site online is very easy to understand and has lots and lots of question and answer sections. It may be in your best interests to take a look at the type of plan you need prior to the deadline of Dec 15th.
Last edited by dlcnurse on Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dlcnurse

Another option is applying for extra help

Postby dlcnurse » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:03 am

bptabby
You may also want to check out this site as well. It will talk you through filing for extra help to cover co-pays, premiums, etc.

and here also is a publication that explains how it works and why you may qualify. You can also call 1-800-772-1213 and apply through the Social Security Administration. or

Visit the site http://www.ssa.gov

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10128.html
Last edited by dlcnurse on Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
dlcnurse

Synthroid

Postby dlcnurse » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:23 pm

You stated that you are paying $25.89 for your Synthroid medication. Which chances are the pharmacy you are filling it at is giving you Synthroid as written.
While Synthroid is "levothyroxine sodium" as its active ingredient, in the United states, in order for a pharmacy to dispense this in a generic form such as Levoxyl which also comes in the 0.137 dosage, the doctor has to write on the prescription to dispense as "Levoxyl" otherwise they will not use the generic form. This is alot cheaper than Synthroid. You may want to ask your doctor to write it for the Levoxyl instead of Synthroid.
Mylan pharmaceuticals has the drug marketed as Levoxyl or Levothyroxine Sodium. Abbot Pharmaceuticals has marketed it as Synthroid. It would save you money. Ask your pharmacist also about a 90 day mail order for your prescriptions. Many many times, it is alot cheaper in cost. It is worth discussing with them.
Talk to your doctor about changing the script to the generic form of Levoxyl.
You may also ask your doctor about using a natural thyroid medication. Armour Thyroid is another medication that is used for hypothyroidism. This medication would require a different dosage but the price comparison is quite different. Armour Thyroid cost of a 30 day supply runs about 8.00 to 10 dollars without insurance coverage. But this is something that you would need to discuss with your doctor.
Talking with your primary care doc in regards to prescribing a lower costing medication is the first step in lowering your drug costs. As Jimithy pointed out, there are alot of SSRI's out there that would also cost less. But these are something that you need to discuss with your doctor. Only you and your doctor know what is best for you in terms of what will work for therapeutic effects of your medicatons.
dlcnurse

Previous

Return to THE EASY WAY: Give us your list of drugs then we will give your specific ways to save