I have a decent salary but my drug costs are huge

This is the "cry for help" forum. Provide as much info as you feel comfortable (we do not need your name, address, ID numbers, etc.) and someone will answer within hours hopefully (maximum time 1 day). If you do not wish to disclose any information in a public post you can register using an anonymous email address and then send a private message to dlcnurse, NoPocketCash, or jimithy.

THE SPECIFIC IDEAS PRESENTED SHOULD NOT BE FOLLOWED BLINDLY. YOU SHOULD MAKE YOUR OWN CHOICES AS FAR AS TREATMENTS, PHARMACIES, MEDICATIONS, ETC. ANY SPECIFIC EXAMPLE GIVEN IS JUST THAT... AN EXAMPLE TO SHOW WE ARE GIVING "REAL WORLD" COSTS AND IDEAS.
FORUM RULES: It is important not to do anything immoral, unethical, illegal, or against your doctor's advice.

Not all methods posted here will work. These are simply ideas some people have found to be useful.

We require polite behavior on this forum. (otherwise your posts will be eliminated and you will be restricted).

The Disclaimer page carefully explains about how the information you find on this site can be safely used. Follow its guidelines & it can help prevent problems. Don't blindly follow advice found here. Consult your doctor or a qualified licensed medical provider before using ANY information, ideas, or methods of saving money on meds to help ensure they are safe for your own health issues. Any information on this website is used at your own risk. Click here to read our Disclaimer.

I have a decent salary but my drug costs are huge

Postby GeeWhiz » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:46 pm

I sit at a desk all day but since I make over $40,000 a year it does not make sense to make a career change to something more active (which has been suggested to me.)

My doctor is concerned about my blood pressure and cholesterol readings so he has placed me on some drugs that are almost impossible for me to pay for since I do not have any insurance.

I take one each of Zocor 40mg, Zetia 10mg, and Vasotec 10mg every evening and two Niaspan 1000mg tablets at bedtime.

I take some over the counter drugs for headaches, allergies, etc. but their costs seem reasonable to me.

I would appreciate whatever cost reductions you can come up with.

Thank you in advance,

GeeWhiz
GeeWhiz
Volunteer

Postby 1DayAAT » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:37 pm

I am familiar with using niacin so I'll jump in here.

Niaspan raises good cholesterol without serious risks (mainly because it is the vitamin Niacin in a slow release form). A quick check at an online pharmacy says that ninety days of 1000mg twice a day would cost about $550 there. The OTC Slo-Niacin is practically the same and you can buy four bottles of one hundred 500mg tablets usually for about $72 locally and as low as $36 via mail order. So basically you get 2/3 more at a tenth the price. You can buy regular Niacin at your pharmacy even cheaper and if you spread the dosage through the day often people do not experience the flushing that Niaspan is supposed to prevent. (I actually get the flushing on Niaspan.)

I don't know the quantities you buy or from where, so here are the possibilites.

Buying a 90 supply locally would probably be about $700 (shop around)

The same supply on the internet would be about $550 (once again, shop around)

The same supply from a good foreign pharmacy would be about $200 (once again, shop around)

So if you decide to stick with the prescription Niaspan and used a foreign pharmacy then you would be paying 29% of local pharmacy pricing.

If you decide that since niacin has been sold as a supplement for 50 years and creating time release tablets is known science, then you could buy Slo-niacin instead. Then you would be paying about a tenth the price if you bought the Slo-niacin locally and 1/20 the price if you bought it mail order.

OF COURSE... your doctor needs to be in on any decision to change your medication.

Good luck! :D
1DayAAT
Volunteer

Vasotec Ideas

Postby NoPocketCash » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:36 pm

Ok I
NoPocketCash

Vytorin, Zocor and Zetia

Postby jimithy » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:11 pm

There are a number of ways to cut costs on your Zocor and Zetia.

First, it is best to find some way to afford to buy 90 day supplies. It is only difficult the first time then if you carefully put money aside each month while you are using that 90 day supply
jimithy
Site Admin

Return to THE EASY WAY: Give us your list of drugs then we will give your specific ways to save