Need insulin and other help

This is the "cry for help" forum. Provide as much info as you feel comfortable (we do not need your name, address, ID numbers, etc.) and someone will answer within hours hopefully (maximum time 1 day). If you do not wish to disclose any information in a public post you can register using an anonymous email address and then send a private message to dlcnurse, NoPocketCash, or jimithy.

THE SPECIFIC IDEAS PRESENTED SHOULD NOT BE FOLLOWED BLINDLY. YOU SHOULD MAKE YOUR OWN CHOICES AS FAR AS TREATMENTS, PHARMACIES, MEDICATIONS, ETC. ANY SPECIFIC EXAMPLE GIVEN IS JUST THAT... AN EXAMPLE TO SHOW WE ARE GIVING "REAL WORLD" COSTS AND IDEAS.
FORUM RULES: It is important not to do anything immoral, unethical, illegal, or against your doctor's advice.

Not all methods posted here will work. These are simply ideas some people have found to be useful.

We require polite behavior on this forum. (otherwise your posts will be eliminated and you will be restricted).

The Disclaimer page carefully explains about how the information you find on this site can be safely used. Follow its guidelines & it can help prevent problems. Don't blindly follow advice found here. Consult your doctor or a qualified licensed medical provider before using ANY information, ideas, or methods of saving money on meds to help ensure they are safe for your own health issues. Any information on this website is used at your own risk. Click here to read our Disclaimer.

Postby Newscaster » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:26 pm

The donut hole is trying to kill me :cry:

I am an insulin dependent type 2 diabetic just out of bankruptcy. Though I work full time we are absolutely broke, and car troubles (we need one if I am to work) have left us with less than $50 in total assets. My wife has been unable to work for 2 years due to illness. We do not qualify for welfare. We are behind on the mortgage and the light bill, can't pay our 2009 real estate taxes yet, and have just gotten her student loan payments deferred though the interest mounts. I am almost 68 years old and have sleep apnea, gout and depression problems in addition to a mild heart condition for which I am on jantoven (a form of warfarin) to thin my blood and digoxin for occasional atrial fibrillation, sometimes alternated with bradycardia. I take a low dose of citalopram for my depression, and for hypertension and high cholesterol I take simvastatin, and lisinopril htcz. I can only buy about one more month of my insulins, lantus (90 units per day) and novolog (103 units per day). It is all I can do to come up with the co-pays. There is no way I can get another $5-600 a month to pay for them in full when I hit the donut hole on my Medicare advantage plan. I would prefer not to die. :D Does anyone have any suggestions?
Newscaster
Member In Good Standing

Postby dlcnurse » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:51 am

Newscaster-
Thank you for posting. Let me do a little bit of searching and see if I can't help you with the costs. I apologize for not answering sooner. I will get back to you with some suggestions shortly.

It would help also if you could answer a few more questions- you stated that you are working full time. Do you have insurance, medicare/medicaid? Copays?

City and State you live in?

I ask these questions in order to best help you. There are programs out there which I may be able to steer you to assist you.

I will check none the less on the medications that you take. It would help if you could give a list of the dosages, how often you take them etc because cost is different for each strength, and how many you need to take each day. I will get back to you later today.
dlcnurse

Postby dlcnurse » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:03 am

Newscaster

In looking at your medication list, many of them are on the $4.00 generic lists at the large stores such as Walmart and Kroger's. Both of these stores carry the digoxin doses 0.125mg and the 0.25mg tablets, lisinopril-HTCZ the doses of 10mg/12.5mg, 20mg/12.5mg and 20mg/25mg tablets, citalopram 20mg and 40mg tablets. Each one for 30 day supply is $4.00 or a 90 day supply for $10.00
They also carry warfarin in the 1mg tablets to 10 mg tablets also for $4.00 a 30 day supply, or $10.00 for a 90 day supply.

Your simvastin also comes in a generic form which generally is fairly cheap. Many of the big chain stores such as walmart carries lovastatin, or pravastatin on their $4.00 list as well. If your simvastatin is costing more, my suggestion would be to talk to your physician and explain the situation and see if he won't change the medication to one of the other generic drugs that is on the $4.00 lists. Other big chain stores such as Target, Kmart etc also have the $4.00 prices for generic brand drugs. If you are actually paying more than the $4.00 cost with using your co-pay amounts, I would suggest going to one of the big store chains that you have not been too, and don't tell them you have insurance. Most of them are not supposed to charge more but I find that many times they just co on the insurance and co-pay amounts and you pay what your co-pay is.

Lantus can be purchased for 100 units/ml vials cheaper at http://www.canadadrugs.com 10ml vials costs $96.00 for the Lantus and the Novolog 100units/ml also in the 10ml vials costs $64.00. This is the cheapest price that I found. I have to tell you that the FDA does not recomend purchasing outside of the US but having said that, there are alot of people purchasing simply because they can't afford to pay the prices here.

I am sure that supplies may also be a problem once you hit the donut hole as well. Here are some specifics about getting free or very low cost diabetic supplies.

IPump.org is a excellent source for supplies and assistance when you can't afford them. You can check them out here: http://www.ipump.org

Most Medicare Part B insurance plans provide all those items for free.
http://www.diabetes.org/advocacy-and-le ... are.jspyou

It can be possible to get supplies and a meter at sites such as http://www.diabeticcareservices.com/freemeter/ or http://www.accessdiabeticsupplies.com/index.aspx

I know that money is tight right now but another option for you would be to check out some of the pharmaceutical companies such as Abbott, E-Lilly, One touch etc and check to see if they are offering free meters. If you go to Islets of Hope, there site also can assist you in obtaining low cost or free meters. It is located here- http://www.isletsofhope.com
Lahle has alot to offer on her site in regards to supplies, assistance and other needs.

Ebay is another excellent site to pick up strips, lancets, etc. for reasonable prices. With Ebay you have to register on their site, type in diabetic supples in the search button and it should come up with what ever they have. I have purchased myself on ebay and the strips cost me 1/4 of what I would have paid at the pharmacy.

There is also http://www.6995diabetes.com which is owned and registered to Rick Lynch, Carrollton Texas (972-243-2727) In a PR wire he announced partnership with Fifty50pharmacy.com which is a registered to The Info Group, Mark Stone, email mark.stone@theinfogroup.com also in Carrollton, Tx.
There have been recommendations in other forums (i.e.Childrenwith diabetes) from parents and other orgs tha point out people for cheap supplies. On the surface the 6995 site seems legit. They were established on Nov 29th and have been in business over a year, no information on them is found with the BBB which ususally means no complaints. They have free shipping and provide packages of supplies for each month for $69.00.

The first month's order includes a free "store brand" meterplus these other supples- 50 test strips, 100 syrings, 100 lancets, 100 alcohol swabs, and 50 Glucose tablets.
Any additional boxes of 50 strips are $19.95.

I would also encourage you to check out a clinic close to where you live. These clinics are free clinics and are there to help people. When you are down and out, these people are a blessing. As I said, they are free and sometimes there is minimal cost if working. If you are out of insulin and you need it- I would recommend that you go to one of these clinics for help, or go to your local hospital and be treated, they often will give you insulin when you are out as it is a life altering experience and you can not go with out it.
You can go here to check for the closest clinic to whre you live.

http://www.freemedicalcamps.com/vcity.php?stateid=PA

We do ask people to read the FDA guidelines for safe online medication purchases. see http://www.fda.gov/buyonlineguide

As mentioned in another post, Xubex http://www.xubex.com/Services.aspx now offers assistance to almost anyone for generic medications, diabetic supplies. I have not used them so I do not know what kind of costs in involved with it.

Hopefully we have helped with getting you some resources in which they may be able to help during the donut hole period. please feel free to come back and ask more questions as you need too. We are sometimes behind in getting to our posters but we will see what we can do to help.
Last edited by dlcnurse on Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: links checked and updated 8/19/11
dlcnurse

Postby Bill-W » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:42 am

Seems like I have heard this all too many times.
I would agree with DLCNurse. It would help to know where you live. In NJ we have emergency assist with the light bills if needed.
You may also want to try Saint Vincent DePaul it is a catholic charities program... Not necessary to be Catholic. They can sometimes help with different things Cash, clothing, assistance with bills...
As always bug your Primary Care Doc for samples or generic alternatives.
Contact the manufacturers of the meds you take and get enrolled in their patient assistance programs. They all have them just some are harder to locate when you are on their site. Try their search function.
It really stinks that our country has so many people in this situation.
I wish you the best of luck.
Bill
Bill-W

Re: Need insulin and other help

Postby dlcnurse » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:06 am

topic and links updated 8/19/11 dlcnurse
dlcnurse

Return to THE EASY WAY: Give us your list of drugs then we will give your specific ways to save