medications

This is the "cry for help" forum. Provide as much info as you feel comfortable (we do not need your name, address, ID numbers, etc.) and someone will answer within hours hopefully (maximum time 1 day). If you do not wish to disclose any information in a public post you can register using an anonymous email address and then send a private message to dlcnurse, NoPocketCash, or jimithy.

THE SPECIFIC IDEAS PRESENTED SHOULD NOT BE FOLLOWED BLINDLY. YOU SHOULD MAKE YOUR OWN CHOICES AS FAR AS TREATMENTS, PHARMACIES, MEDICATIONS, ETC. ANY SPECIFIC EXAMPLE GIVEN IS JUST THAT... AN EXAMPLE TO SHOW WE ARE GIVING "REAL WORLD" COSTS AND IDEAS.
FORUM RULES: It is important not to do anything immoral, unethical, illegal, or against your doctor's advice.

Not all methods posted here will work. These are simply ideas some people have found to be useful.

We require polite behavior on this forum. (otherwise your posts will be eliminated and you will be restricted).

The Disclaimer page carefully explains about how the information you find on this site can be safely used. Follow its guidelines & it can help prevent problems. Don't blindly follow advice found here. Consult your doctor or a qualified licensed medical provider before using ANY information, ideas, or methods of saving money on meds to help ensure they are safe for your own health issues. Any information on this website is used at your own risk. Click here to read our Disclaimer.

medications

Postby overwhelmed » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:44 pm

Hi, my main question is for relief for diabetes medications, but there is more.

First and foremost my 8 year old daughter is a Type I diabeted. She is on an Animas insulin pump and Dexcom Continuous Glucose Meter. She uses One Touch Ultra strip and novolog insulin.

We were doing ok financially until my husband had a heart attack at the age of 33 and now he is no longer able to work 2 jobs.

He takes 3 medications.

I take Flexaril, Zoloft, Singulair, Allegra, Zantac, and the following as needed, epi-pen, albuterol, pulmicort.

I have IBS, severe allergies, idiopathic anaphalaxis, and some other conditions that I am currently being see for that are undiagnosed.

In 2008 we had over $17,000 in out of pocket medical costs.

We have a household income of $70,000. We are currently paying between $800-$1000 for medical bills.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
overwhelmed

Postby jimithy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:35 am

overwhelmed,

Even though you have huge medical bills and prescription costs... I do not believe your family would qualify with any of the hundreds of Prescription Aid Programs (PAPs). Don't worry, the vast majority of people who require assistance are turned down by PAPs.

We are dedicated to help anyone, without qualification.

The best way we can help is to specifically research each of your medications to find various methods to reduce costs.
First collect your pill bottles (or prescriptions) and give each of their dosage strengths with times per day (the purpose of the medication given by the doctor is always good too.). Now we need to know about any insurance that might cover your medications (and if so tell us about it... copays, limits, etc.). Finally giving us your approximate household gross income with number of members in your household can make a big difference (We don't want to pry but you might qualify for some type of assistance).

This small amount of information that discloses nothing about who you are will allow us to search out methods to get your costs to the absolute minimum.

It would be best if you included your entire family's medications in the list.

You have given us enough information that we can provide some help now. Once we have a list of all your medications and specific dosages then we can provide you the best help.

Thanks for posting!
jimithy
Site Admin

Postby dlcnurse » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:33 am

Overwhelmed,

As jimithy states above, the more information you can give us the better. While we do some other searching for some assistance with your daughter's diabetes needs, here are a few sites online and contact information that may help you.

http://www.insulin-pumpers.org This is the largest non-profit organization that offers help with supplies, costs/assistance and information to persons with diabetes.

http://www.cr3.org This is the Charles Ray III Diabetes Association, Inc. that also offers assistance to diabetics. Each situation is unique so I am not sure what they can do but it is worth a shot.

The Animas Corporation also offers assistance through the Diabetes Trust Fund for children 21 and under with current health coverage. Call 1-877-937-7867 and ask to speak to Anne Barton at extension 1149

Since your medical costs expand to your daughter, your husband and your self, we can help lower your costs/expenses if we had more information. Given your husband's disabilities and recent heart attack, also check your local hospital to see if they have a diabetes education department and call and talk to them. They can give you local resources that may be able to help. You can also ask to speak to a social worker and he/she can also give you some local resources that may help reduce the cost of your medical expenses for yourself, your husband and your daughter.

Hope that this will help you for now. I will take a look at your medicines and see if I can find ways to cut those costs.
dlcnurse

Re: medications

Postby dlcnurse » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:48 am

Here is also a link that may save you money on all the medications all of you need. Http://www.internetdrugcoupons.com/ This site has coupons that are given to cut some of the costs of oral agents, they have about 10 listed. They also have insulins. It may help in your situation. dlcnurse
dlcnurse

Re: medications

Postby dlcnurse » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:48 am

links and site updated 8/19/11 dlcnurse
dlcnurse

Return to THE EASY WAY: Give us your list of drugs then we will give your specific ways to save