Insurance suggestions

This is the "cry for help" forum. Provide as much info as you feel comfortable (we do not need your name, address, ID numbers, etc.) and someone will answer within hours hopefully (maximum time 1 day). If you do not wish to disclose any information in a public post you can register using an anonymous email address and then send a private message to dlcnurse, NoPocketCash, or jimithy.

THE SPECIFIC IDEAS PRESENTED SHOULD NOT BE FOLLOWED BLINDLY. YOU SHOULD MAKE YOUR OWN CHOICES AS FAR AS TREATMENTS, PHARMACIES, MEDICATIONS, ETC. ANY SPECIFIC EXAMPLE GIVEN IS JUST THAT... AN EXAMPLE TO SHOW WE ARE GIVING "REAL WORLD" COSTS AND IDEAS.
FORUM RULES: It is important not to do anything immoral, unethical, illegal, or against your doctor's advice.

Not all methods posted here will work. These are simply ideas some people have found to be useful.

We require polite behavior on this forum. (otherwise your posts will be eliminated and you will be restricted).

The Disclaimer page carefully explains about how the information you find on this site can be safely used. Follow its guidelines & it can help prevent problems. Don't blindly follow advice found here. Consult your doctor or a qualified licensed medical provider before using ANY information, ideas, or methods of saving money on meds to help ensure they are safe for your own health issues. Any information on this website is used at your own risk. Click here to read our Disclaimer.

Insurance suggestions

Postby Pete » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:40 pm

Hello,
I have the OmniPod insulin pump and right now I have Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance (Cobra Insurance). My Cobra expires Nov 21 this year and I will have to find new insurance. My question is does anyone know where I can try to get insurance that will cover my Omnipod supplies?
I am in Radiology school right now, I quit my job and took out the Cobra insurance so I could concentrate on school. So this is also why I do not have a job yet.
Thank you to anyone who replies.
Pete

Postby dlcnurse » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:30 am

Some plans that offer Cobra coverage can be extended for an additional 36 months. You need to check with your agent or possibly the human resources person at where you worked in regards to extenion of your Cobra plan. And in most cases, you should be getting if you have not already, a letter regarding your Cobra and a offer to switch it to an individual policy. If you haven't receieved the letter, I would probably take the time to call the company and request the information on switching your Cobra insurance over to a private policy.

Insurance coverage has so many parts to it.. such as age, current health issues, etc... we would need more information to be able to try and steer you in the right direction.

Some of the things we would need to know: age chronic health conditions (many insurances discriminate when it comes to health conditions) state you live in, and any other info that you might feel is important. Please do not include personal names, social security numbers or things like that... (to protect your indentity, and other reasons)..

You might try looking also at clinics where you live. They do cover some things such as diabetes supplies for low to no cost depending on your income. Especially since you are a diabetic, it may be prudent to try and find out info on clinics near you just in case so if you run out of insulin you know where you can go since 1)your insurance runs out soon and 2)you are not working. I would be glad to see what I can come up with. Here again I would need from you the location of where you live. You do not have to be specific as I should be able to find those clinics in the surrounding area. If you like, just put your zip code and I can find it from there.

AARP is a reasonable insurance but I am not sure if it excludes chronic conditions or not... And it is not just for senior individuals. They are more of a preventive type insurance but worth checking into.

One other source is your doctor's office. They may be able to steer you to some resources as well. Other area to check is your local hospital and talk to their diabetic educator/social services to see if they can provide you with resources. Many times the diabetic educator can assist you in finding resources for such things and also some emergency type services for one time coverage if you reach a point where you do not have coverage nor money to obtain the necessary supplies.
dlcnurse

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:17 pm

At this time I believe trying to extend COBRA or switching to an insulin pump with much lower monthly costs are your only options.

Your diabetes is a "pre-existing" condition. Health insurance companies in the U.S. will almost always reject anyone with diabetes even though they are exactly the people who really need health insurance. Companies here say this is necessary in order to survive in a tough business.

That is false. Foreign health insurance companies compete in the same business, but they must accept all applicants. Unlike U.S. companies they cannot cancel as long as you pay your premiums. They're also required to quickly pay any claim submitted by a doctor or hospital.

Foreign health insurance exists only to pay people's medical bills, not to make a profit. The only developed country that allows insurance companies to profit from basic health coverage is the United States.

I'll keep checking for other options.

Re: Insurance suggestions

Postby dlcnurse » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:22 am

updated on 8/19/11 by dlcnurse
dlcnurse

Return to THE EASY WAY: Give us your list of drugs then we will give your specific ways to save