The VA has an $8 flat prescription co-pay

Almost anyone who served in the military during the time of an armed conflict is eligible for very low cost health care and prescriptions. (others are also eligible). It is available for some people with large assets and high incomes.
FORUM RULES: It is important not to do anything immoral, unethical, illegal, or against your doctor's advice.

Not all methods posted here will work. These are simply ideas some people have found to be useful.

We require polite behavior on this forum. (otherwise your posts will be eliminated and you will be restricted).

The Disclaimer page carefully explains about how the information you find on this site can be safely used. Follow its guidelines & it can help prevent problems. Don't blindly follow advice found here. Consult your doctor or a qualified licensed medical provider before using ANY information, ideas, or methods of saving money on meds to help ensure they are safe for your own health issues. Any information on this website is used at your own risk. Click here to read our Disclaimer.

The VA has an $8 flat prescription co-pay

Postby 1DayAAT » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:37 am

The VA has a flat prescription co-pay... no matter how expensive the drugs are... no matter how much income you have... no matter how great your assets are. It is $8/month's worth of a drug or medical supply.

A whole lot more people are eligible than who use this service.

from the va.gov page:
http://www.va.gov/healtheligibility/

[quote]All Veterans are Potentially Eligible

* Eligibility for most veterans
1DayAAT
Volunteer

Lower prices than the VA

Postby Proud to be a Vet » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:59 pm

The co-pay at the VA is $8 for a 30 day supply of ANY medicine or medical supply.

If you are an insulin dependent diabetic and get your alcohol swabs via the VA then you are being extremely overcharged. Several months supply of alcohol swabs cost about a buck... one month from the VA costs $8. It may seem minor but many of us seniors are on a lot of drugs and supplies like lancets that are extremely cheap.

A dozen cheap items via the VA costs $96... I pay half that by going outside of the VA (I just make sure the VA notes it in my charts what I am actually taking... not just what they are sending me.) Saving $50 a month may not seem like much but for a senior on SS retirement... it makes a big difference ($600 a year).

If you are on drugs that cost several dollars a pill then it is a VERY good thing to use the VA Pharmacy FOR THOSE DRUGS ONLY.

VA coverage is EXCELLENT if you are hospitalized because they cover 100% INCLUDING meds and med supplies while you are in. :D
Proud to be a Vet

Eligibility

Postby krlklar » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:39 pm

VA eligibility is limited by 1040 gross income. Despite being a WWII combat vet I am not eligible because of law changes in 2002 or 4. My actual income is low enough but because Our IRA savings MRDs are included in IRS gross income I do not qualify!
krlklar

Return to Veterans Administration