Looking good by helping Veterans less

Almost anyone who served in the military during the time of an armed conflict is eligible for very low cost health care and prescriptions. (others are also eligible). It is available for some people with large assets and high incomes.
FORUM RULES: It is important not to do anything immoral, unethical, illegal, or against your doctor's advice.

Not all methods posted here will work. These are simply ideas some people have found to be useful.

We require polite behavior on this forum. (otherwise your posts will be eliminated and you will be restricted).

The Disclaimer page carefully explains about how the information you find on this site can be safely used. Follow its guidelines & it can help prevent problems. Don't blindly follow advice found here. Consult your doctor or a qualified licensed medical provider before using ANY information, ideas, or methods of saving money on meds to help ensure they are safe for your own health issues. Any information on this website is used at your own risk. Click here to read our Disclaimer.

Looking good by helping Veterans less

Postby jimithy » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:13 am

The Veterans Administration is reallocating funds to give the appearance of delivering better health care. They no longer use the A1C test to routinely screen long term blood sugars of diabetics. Instead... they have taken those funds that were meant to keep me healthy and allocated them for complimentary VALET SERVICE :twisted:

Now when congressman (or their staff) visit VA hospitals they can see we are given the best care possible.... IN THE PARKING LOT :x

The actual quality of our health care cannot be determined during their quick (advance notice) visits inside the VA Hospitals.

So I will probably be buying A1C tests on a regular basis.
jimithy
Site Admin

The VA... the Good, the Bad, & Sometimes the Expensive!

Postby jimithy » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:22 pm

I have a new primary care doctor and I am now getting the AIC blood tests necessary for my brittle diabetes.

There could be for a variety of reasons... such as:
  • My previous primary care doctor was fibbing about the VA ending routine A1C tests of diabetics.
  • My current primary care doctor (who recently came from outside of the VA system) has yet to be chastised for ordering "unnecessary" tests.
  • Since my current primary care doctor was hired to start up a VA satellite clinic... maybe he is allowed greater latitude in his decisions about the medical necessity of certain tests.
  • My current primary care doctor fought the system to be able to deliver good health care for vets.

I gave up second guessing the VA long ago. I am getting better care now than I was 6 months ago and that is all that matters for me.

In my opinion the VA gives the best "institutional" health care in the country based upon the dollars spent per patient.

Medicare Part D would cost a fraction of its current price if the Pharm companies sold meds for Part D insurance at the prices the VA has negotiated for themselves.

Unfortunately the VA's "lock-step" method of delivering medications ends up wasting a lot of their and the veterans' money. A "trial" supply of a new med is usually sent as a 90 day supply. This costs vets 3 times as much money every time the med does not work out OR if the dosage changes. Any time the dosage changes the pharmacy sends out another 90 day supply of the same med and charges the vet again. If there is a change in a med (such as insulin) that requires medical supplies then typically all possible med supplies are sent out as a 90 day supply every time it happens. (One shipment of unneeded diabetic supplies can cost well over $100)

I have had multiple 90 day supplies of syringes filled and sent to me on the same day. At one time I have had a several years supply of syringes at my home. I finally got my doctor to eliminate ALL medical supplies (except Glucose Test Strips) from my med list so that they would stop sending cheap items (such as alcohol swabs) at up to 20 times their OTC costs... repeatedly even when they were never ordered.

NOTE: Even if the pharmacy sends the WRONG medication... the veteran must pay for that med AND the replacement (hopefully correct) medication. I can't count the times this has happened to me... the last time was about 6 weeks ago. (The pharmacist did not understand the doctor's orders and did not ask for clarification.) At $24 per VA mistake it can really cost the veteran a lot of money.

Oh well... Excess meds has me $500 in the hole with my VA hospital. At least they accept a payment plan. Each VA hospital has its own payment plan so I am paying off a $1000 bill from another state. (Which rightfully I should not owe.)

STILL... I could not possibly afford civilian health care so I am thankful to be able to use VA services.
jimithy
Site Admin

Return to Veterans Administration