NIH stops study of niacin to prevent heart attacks

You never know when a DEAL might come along. It seems we have price wars going on between major retailers right now. Could price wars between the drug companies themselves be far behind? What will happen with the new Congress?
FORUM RULES: It is important not to do anything immoral, unethical, illegal, or against your doctor's advice.

Not all methods posted here will work. These are simply ideas some people have found to be useful.

We require polite behavior on this forum. (otherwise your posts will be eliminated and you will be restricted).

The Disclaimer page carefully explains about how the information you find on this site can be safely used. Follow its guidelines & it can help prevent problems. Don't blindly follow advice found here. Consult your doctor or a qualified licensed medical provider before using ANY information, ideas, or methods of saving money on meds to help ensure they are safe for your own health issues. Any information on this website is used at your own risk. Click here to read our Disclaimer.

NIH stops study of niacin to prevent heart attacks

Postby jimithy » Sun May 29, 2011 10:41 pm

A very large (3400 people) long term study of Niaspan (time release Niacin... a B Vitamin) being done by the National Institute of Health (NIH) has been halted 1.5 years before it was supposed to end because of 2 problems.

1. Even though it increased good cholesterol (HDL) as it was designed to do... it did not reduce heart problems.
2. The people taking Niaspan had a slight increase in the incidence of strokes.

The NIH has been studying various drugs over the last few years to determine whether the Pharm companies' clinical trials that are designed to get their drugs approved... actually show that taking their pills create ANY health benefits (or whether the benefits outweigh the risks).

I usually only hear about the studies that show a drug is ineffective or dangerous, but still, various drug companies are coming out with egg on their faces. Abbott Laboratories makes Niaspan and their stock has taken a dive because of yet another problem with their cholesterol drugs.

This NIH study used patients already taking a statin (which is any drug whose generic name ends in "statin") to lower bad cholesterol (LDL) but the patients still had low HDL (the good cholesterol). We've been told by the medical community for a while that everyone should lower their LDL and raise their HDL in order to reduce heart problems. Well the very expensive Niaspan did raise their HDL but it did nothing to reduce heart problems. Also, there was a slight increase in the number of strokes by the people taking Niaspan.

There are a number of cheap time release Niacin tablets widely available (such as Slo-Niacin). I have said for years that people waste their money buying Niaspan (which currently sells for about $5 per 1000mg Niacin tablet) when they could be using something like Slo-Niacin (which currently sells for about 33 cents for 1000mg of time-release Niacin... other brands sell 1000mg of time-release Niacin for 15 cents or less). I use plain old Niacin and save even more.

Now it appears that even the little I pay to raise my HDL may be too much.

Here are a couple of good stories about this NIH study.

NIH stops study of niacin to prevent heart attacks (The Associated Press) http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... 9ce118de6e

Combination Cholesterol Drugs Show No Added Heart Benefits (ABC World News Tonight) http://abcnews.go.com/Health/HeartDisea ... d=13705116
jimithy
Site Admin

Return to Special (possibly time limited) Ways To Save & NEWS!