FDA posts list of authorized generic medications

Despite pharmaceutical company propaganda, generic drugs must meet the same exacting requirements the FDA demands of brand name drugs.
FORUM RULES: It is important not to do anything immoral, unethical, illegal, or against your doctor's advice.

Not all methods posted here will work. These are simply ideas some people have found to be useful.

We require polite behavior on this forum. (otherwise your posts will be eliminated and you will be restricted).

The Disclaimer page carefully explains about how the information you find on this site can be safely used. Follow its guidelines & it can help prevent problems. Don't blindly follow advice found here. Consult your doctor or a qualified licensed medical provider before using ANY information, ideas, or methods of saving money on meds to help ensure they are safe for your own health issues. Any information on this website is used at your own risk. Click here to read our Disclaimer.

FDA posts list of authorized generic medications

Postby dlcnurse » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:15 am

The FDA has published their authorized generic medication list. If you want to check if any of your prescribed medications come in generic format you can find the link here:

http://www.fda.gov/cder/ogd/AG_listing.htm

They have a alphabetical listing that is easy to use.
dlcnurse

Postby jimithy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:22 pm

This really a wonderful resource and the FDA did create a GREAT LIST... of course I have to say... BUT...

The FDA has a habit of making life difficult for people who wish to comparison shop. This list tells you that your brand name drug MIGHT have a generic equivalent available. (Just because a generic has been approved and the FDA has authorized it to enter the market... does not mean that it is ever available to consumers. More and more generics are artificially withheld just after the brand name drug company pays them millions of dollars. Of course it is simply a whole lot of coincidences. It would not be ethical otherwise.)

The list does not tell you the name of the generic either. Unless you are fairly experienced at shopping for prices on the internet (Even if you always buy locally... knowing the price you should be paying is quite important.) You need to know the name of the generic medication in order to plug it into the "Search Field" of the pharmacy site... before it can tell you their price for that generic.

I use www.RxList.com as a fast method of getting the generics name. Near the top of the page is "Find a Drug". Type in the brand name and it will tell you the generic... EVEN IF YOU MISSPELL THE DRUG NAME. That feature is great for me because I make a lot of typos. Be careful if it lists a drug spelled differently from what you typed in. Many drugs have similar names and if RxList must guess because of a spelling error... it might guess wrong.

Another source is http://www.drugbank.ca/

This is a GIANT database maintained by the Univ. of Alberta. Type in the brand name and it will pop up the generic. Click the "Drug Card" button to the left of the generic's name and it will list every brand name it knows that is same as the generic... it will also list brand names that contain the generic along with one or more other drugs.

The problem is you still must be careful. There are errors in the database. If you enter "Zocor" then it will bring up "Simvastatin". If you click "Drug Card" then it will show 20 brand name versions of Simvastatin and one brand name (Inegy) containing Simvastatin + Ezetimibe. The error is that Vytorin is listed as equivalent to Simvastatin... when actually it is the same combo of drugs as Inegy. If you search for "Vytorin" like you did "Zocor" then you get the same results as searching for "Zocor". If you search for "Inegy" like you did "Zocor" then you get the two generics that make up Inegy (and Vytorin).

This is an excellent list of good medication info sites that is kept updated.
www.azcert.org/consumers/webliography/index.cfm
Note: list of sites are alphabetical... not in the order of best to worst
Note: Supplements, Herbs, OTC, etc. are covered too.
Note: Multiple sites provide photo databases that allow you to identify what medication is in a certain pill or capsule.

This is a long winded way of saying... GEEZ!!! why didn't the FDA simply list the generic medication name in the first place!! :roll:
Last edited by jimithy on Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimithy
Site Admin

Postby dlcnurse » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:51 pm

I also use a number of different sources to comparison shop. I do generally buy locally although I have been tempted to purchase using the internet since the cost of my medications has risen. Having said that, it is still worth doing a comparison even for local stores as prices are better for some of my medications than others. It pays to shop around and also pays to know what the brand name and the generic equivilent is for all personal medications that you take.

Knowing your medications in both brand and generic will help prevent medication errors. It is important to also read the leaflets that come with prescriptions so that you know what, why, how, and when you take meds on a routine basis.
dlcnurse

Re: FDA posts list of authorized generic medications

Postby jimithy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:16 pm

There is a site called http://www.Rxaminer.com that has a huge list of brand name and generic drugs. When you select a medication that you are taking then it will give you a list of less expensive alternative medications with the cost savings of each. If you scroll down below the list then you will find paragraphs that summarize the reasoning behind each selection. They warn you to talk with your doctor before making any changes.

If I had an issue with the costs of a medication and thought an alternative medication on this site might help... I would print out the entire webpage (the list and the explanations) and take it to my next doctors appointment. That way there would usually be several options for your doctor to consider (instead of just the one that you believe would be best.)

Keep in mind that this site is simply about how different drugs can treat the same condition but vary widely in their costs. There are numerous ways listed in SlashDrugCosts about how to lower your med costs. The Rxaminer method can reduce your costs but typically it is best to use a combination of methods so that you can DRASTICALLY reduce your costs. Rxaminer is a great tool but you should use as many methods as possible to pay the absolute minimum for your medications.

NOTE: Rxaminer will not let you enter a drug name if they don't know of any alternative drugs that could save you money. I found that more than half of the drugs I searched for they had no suggestions. Please do not give up if that occurs. If you cannot find ways to afford a medication then just ask us and we will give you as many methods as we can.

Remember to talk with your doctor before making any changes :-)
jimithy
Site Admin

Re: FDA posts list of authorized generic medications

Postby Parquet » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:19 pm

Hey if you jump to the bottom of the Rxaminer page you'll find a link to http://www.destinationrx.com

Give them your drug name and they'll give you info about it :-)
Parquet
Member In Good Standing

Return to Generic Drugs